Grade 8 teacher in Victoria, BC

Blog Post #2

Digital identity is how you present yourself online. It’s like your virtual self, consisting of all the information, photos, and content you share online, or that others are sharing about you. Think of it as your online reputation and persona. I quite like how this video below explains digital identity.

I belong to Gen Z, and I’m a middle school teacher, so it should be no surprise that I’m totally addicted to my phone. Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, BeReal, and most of all Instagram. I use my Instagram as a kind of visual diary. I share memories, pictures of my dog, travel photos, aesthetic pics I’ve taken, pictures with my friends and family, things I’m manifesting…etc.. I love connecting with friends, sharing bits of my life, and, of course, keeping up with trends and memes. Privacy is super important to me, so I make sure my account is set to private, and I’m selective about who I accept as followers. I never let any students or parents follow me on my personal account. I also avoid sharing super personal details, like my exact location or any sensitive info. Here’s what my personal account looks like:

Maintaining a professional image online is a bit different. I have a separate, Instagram account where I share educational content, like classroom activities, teaching tips, and student projects. I always avoid posting photos of students faces, instead I take photos from behind so only the backs of students’ heads are visible, or I put emoji’s in front of their faces while I am editing the photo to post. I keep this account clean and positive, avoiding anything that could be seen as controversial or unprofessional. I keep this account private, but I allow my students to follow me. They love to keep up with what I’m doing at school, especially when they move on from my classroom. I also engage with other educators and participate in online communities to build my professional network. Here’s what my professional account looks like:

Balancing personal and professional digital identities can be tricky. Personally, I use social media for fun and to express myself, while professionally, I focus on sharing valuable content and maintaining a professional image. The key is to keep these identities distinct yet complementary. For instance, on my personal account, I might post about a fun weekend trip, while on my professional account, I might share a photo of a cool science experiment we did in class. The benefit is that I get to enjoy both worlds: the creative freedom of my personal life and the rewarding connections of my professional life.

Looking ahead, as social media keeps evolving, I’ll continue to adapt by staying informed about new platforms and trends. Overall, my goal is to maintain a consistent and positive digital presence that reflects who I am, both as a teacher and an individual. Let’s keep the conversation going about how we navigate our digital lives!

Previous

Blog Post #1

Next

Response to Atalaya

1. Hi Eliza,
    I really like that you posted examples of what your personal and professional Instagram accounts look like. I really appreciate how you have an emphasis on not sharing your students faces on your professional account. I am currently in the BEd program at UVic so I understanding the importance of doing this! I am curious how you handle your online presence on other social media platforms? There is such a wide array of social media platforms that are easy to be involved in now. Do you choose to not be involved with those platforms, or are you more of a “silent watcher”. I definitely have some social media platforms that I watch but don’t personally contribute to!

2. atalayaanzer1

Hi Eliza, your insights into managing a digital identity are relatable and thoughtful. I appreciate how you have clearly separated your personal and professional online social media presence, this creates a balance allowing you to engage online without compromising your professionalism as a teacher. Your professional online account demonstrates a strong commitment to protecting students privacy by covering their faces demonstrating ethical online behaviour. I think engaging with others in the same field on Instagram by sharing teaching content is a great way to develop and expand your PLN while maintaining a professional image. Balancing personal and professional digital identities can be hard, but your method of keeping separate Instagram accounts is a great model that I plan to follow once I am employed after graduation. I share your goal of maintaining a consistent and positive social media presence that reflects my professional and personal values. Thank you for sharing!

3. anna101

Hey, Eliza. I agree with your post and how you were saying privacy is important to keep your personal information safe. Also with how you use your Instagram to post pictures of your pets and vacations which I also do. Since you are a teacher I love how you still find a professional and safe way to post content of your classroom and students. Also very good how you protect all of their identities while including them. I always love seeing those videos pop up on my for you page on Tik Tok, since the videos always seem so fun and joyous. I’m not sure if you have a professional teacher account on Tik Tok but I know you would probably make tons of connections with fellow teachers like you that love to share content about their students and job.